The Vital Statistics Office at the Florida Department of Health in Gadsden County issues death certificates for deaths that occurred in the State of Florida from 2009 to present. Orders may be placed in person, by mail, or online through VitalChek.com. Death certificate fees are $10.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy. Forms of payment accepted are: cash, check, money order, debit card, Discover, Visa and MasterCard.
These certificates are issued in the following two formats:
- Certified copies with cause of death listed. These copies have restrictions on issuance. Contact DOH-Gadsden for information (850) 875-7200 x 325.
- Certified copies without the cause of death listed. No restrictions on issuance.
Florida Death Certificates Can Be Obtained By:
- Immediate family members
- Attorney(s) or Funeral Director representing authorized persons.
- Banks, executors of estates, insurance companies or anyone requiring a death certificate to pay a policy or death benefit on the decedent. (Conditions Apply)
- For other issuance conditions, contact DOH-Gadsden at (850) 875-7200 x 325.
Application for a Gadsden County Death Certificate MUST Contain The Following:
- Full name of the decedent.
- Date of death.
- City or county of death.
- Applicant's relationship to the decedent.
- Purpose for the certified copy.
- Signature of the applicant.
- Mailing address
- Copy of valid photo ID (front and back) is required for all requests for certificates with cause of death listed.
- The fee ($10.00 for 1st copy, $6.00 each additional copy).
Amendments to a Gadsden County Death Certificate:
If a family member indicates a correction is needed on a Gadsden County death certificate, the funeral home will need to be contacted by the family member and the funeral home will begin the correction process.
If the death did not occur in Florida:
Please go to the following link to order certificates from other states: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm
Application for a Death Record (PDF 55KB)